How do I fix double reference lists and/or my references moving inside my document?
If you find your in-text citations are moving in your document, or that you have more than one reference list, you probably have a problem with some EndNote field codes becoming separated from a citation and getting stuck inside your Word document. If you clean up the field codes from your document and reformat it, the problem usually goes away.
To clean up field codes from your document:
- Make a backup of your document.
- Go to the EndNote tab in Word and then click Convert Citations and Bibliography > Convert to Unformatted Citations.
- The unformatted document should not contain any reference lists, so scan through it and delete any reference lists that you find.
- Press [Ctrl]+A on the keyboard to highlight everything.
- Press [Ctrl]+6 to remove any additional hidden field codes
- Press [Ctrl]+C to copy the highlighted text
- Open a new document and press [Ctrl]+V to paste
- Click on Update Citations and Bibliography in the EndNote tab in Word.